NNTPGrab 0.7.2 has just been released. This is a bugfix release and contains the following changes:
- Allow the user to kill the NNTPGrab Server using the Qt frontend
- Allow frontends to shutdown the Qt-based NNTPGrab Server
- The move to top/up/down/bottom buttons in the download queue context menu in the Qt frontend were broken. Fixed. Bug #90
- Translated the Linux desktop files
- Make sure all messages are translated in the Qt frontend on Mac OS X
- Saving the download queue on win32 and win64 could result in a 'Permission denied' error. Fixed. Resolves the issue mentioned at http://nntpgrab.nl/boards/2/topics/369
- When importing a collection using the Qt frontend from the Online Search the collection name would get stripped unnecessary. Resolves the issue mentioned at http://nntpgrab.nl/boards/1/topics/446
- The automatic shutdown button wasn't visible in the Gtk frontend any more as of version 0.7.0. Fixed. Resolves the issue mentioned at http://nntpgrab.nl/boards/1/topics/371
- Connecting to a NNTPGrab Server in the Gtk3 frontend could result in an assertion failure. Fixed. Resolves the issue mentioned at http://nntpgrab.nl/boards/1/topics/434
- Fixed a small rendering issue in the Gtk3 frontend when using Gtk 3.4.0 or higher
- Fixed a crash in the Qt frontend which could occur when a plugin event was triggered without any parameters
- Automatic PAR2 repair and automatic unpack wasn't working in the Gtk frontend on Mac OS X. Fixed
- Fixed a possible crash in the NetworkManager plugin
- Fix compile failure in the Qt frontend when Subversion 1.7 is installed
- Fix compile failure in the Gtk frontend when using Gtk3 on win32 and win64 environments
- Fix compile failure in the PHP module when using PHP 5.4
This new version can be found at the Downloads page
NNTPGrab 0.7.1 has just been released. This is a bugfix release and contains the following changes:
- Added Turkish translation
- Updated the French translation
- Various messages coming from the NNTPGrab Core didn't get translated in the Qt frontend. Fixed
- When an error occurs while a NZB file is imported an incomplete message would get shown in the Qt frontend. Fixed
- Added support to check the maintenance status of the Online Search service so that user-friendly messages can be shown when the Online Search service is down for maintenance
- When trying to unpack an password-protected archive let the user know that they have to manually unpack the archive as NNTPGrab doesn't support unpacking password-protected archives yet
- The NNTPGrab Qt Server could crash when a file changed state. Fixed. Bug #87
- Clicking on the 'Connect' button in the startup dialog could cause an assertion error when using GTK3. Fixed
This new version can be found at the Downloads page
It has already been over a year since the last stable release of NNTPGrab.
About time to change that! That's why we would like to announce version 0.7.0 of NNTPGrab.
This is a stable release and everybody is recommended to update to this new version.
- PAR2 files will now only be downloaded when really necessary
- Improved look-and-feel on Windows and Mac OS X due to the use of Qt
- The integrated search service is back operational again and heavily optimized
- Downloading using SSL is fast than before
- Due to various optimalisations the maximum download speed the program can achieve is increased
- Various manipulations in the download queue are now much faster than before (note: users of an older version of NNTPGrab need to complete their old downloads first before updating to this new version because of an incompatibility between the old and the new file format)
- Added support for GTK3 (part of GNOME 3)
- Added support to automatically remove collections from the download queue after a successful download
- Added an option called 'Send GROUP command before downloading' which can be used for certain buggy usenet servers
For the complete details of these new features we would like to redirect you to the release notes of the previous beta versions:
NNTPGrab 0.6.90 / 0.7 Beta 1
NNTPGrab 0.6.91 / 0.7 Beta 2
NNTPGrab 0.6.92 / 0.7 Beta 3
- Some files could get stuck in the download queue when a connection with a server was interrupted unexpectedly. Fixed
- Collections with a total size of 4GB or more were shown incorrectly in the Online Search tab. Fixed
- Require Online Search queries to be at least 4 characters long
- Made the columns in the Online Search tab resizable
- On the first time startup, always save a default configuration file to disk
- Fixed an issue in the GTK frontend where moving the last file or collection could result in an assertion error
- The Qt frontend didn't remember the last used host/port which was used to connect to a NNTPGrab Server. Bug #84
- Event handling was broken on RHEL5/CentOS5. Fixed
- Don't show the automatic unpack options in the configuration tab on RHEL5/CentOS5 as these features aren't available on those environments
- Importing NZB files (regular import, not the quick import) was broken on RHEL5/CentOS5. Fixed
- When adding files the download progress percentage could be shown incorrect when the collection contains .par2 files. Fixed
- When a file is fully unavailable on all servers the automatic repair and unpack wouldn't get triggered. Fixed
- Check if there are any files which are ready to be decoded every time the download queue is restarted
- When the schedular is stopped due to an error, it wasn't possible to restart the schedular anymore in the Qt frontend. Fixed
This new version can be found on our Downloads page
It may have looked like the NNTPGrab project turned dead, but that doesn't seem to be the case
The development got stalled in the last few months due to other duties, but finally we managed to
get a new version of the program released: NNTPGrab 0.6.92 (0.7 Beta 3)
As the name might suspect this is the third beta version of the 0.7 branch. This version can actually be
seen as a release candidate. All planned features are implemented now and the various components in the
program work stable. It is expected that on very short term (depending on user feedback) the 0.7.0 version
will be released which will be marked as a stable release.
Compared to the previous beta (0.6.91) various changes have been applied. Here's a short overview:
From now on it is possible to have the program automatically remove collections from the download queue once
they're downloaded (and optionally repaired/unpacked). This option is disabled by default, so if you want to
use this feature you'd have to enable it first in the configuration.
Another new feature is an option called 'Send GROUP command before downloading'.
This option is meant for certain buggy usenet server. It turned out that some usenet servers will only have
files ready for download once a GROUP command has been performed. If you notice that during the download
the connection to the usenet server is unstable or a large number of files are missing (while they are
expected on the server) you may want to try to enable this option. This option is disabled by default as
most usenet servers work fine without this option being enabled.
Various optimalisations have been applied in the Online Search feature. This should make searching and importing
files much faster than before. At the time this text was written there still are several optimalisation tasks
running at the server side in the database, so chances are that the results aren't entirely up to date at the moment.
Performing searching and importing files should work fine now. It is expected that the search engine will be fully
up to date in a couple of days. If you encounter anything strange, please report these issues at the NNTPGrab forum.
Next to these features the regular bunch of bugfixes and optimalisations have also been applied.
Compared to the 0.6.91 version the maximum download speed should be higher as well. In local testing
we managed to get top download speeds of up to 25MB/sec while this used to be around 15MB/sec in the 0.6.91 version
The second beta of the NNTPGrab 0.7 branch has just been released.
The Qt frontend (which was introduced in the first 0.7 beta) has become feature complete and is now the default frontend on Windows and Mac OS X environments
The Qt frontend provides a much better look and feel on Windows and Mac OS X environments when compared to the previous GTK based frontend.
All features which were already present in the GTK frontend have also been implemented in the Qt frontend.
Next to the regular bug fixes some new features have been introduced as well.
One of these features is support for GnuTLS to download from usenet servers using SSL.
GnuTLS fits much better in the single download thread model which was introduced in NNTPGrab 0.6.
The configuration part of the program has also been updated so that the configuration parts of the various plugins
only get shown when the plugin is really loaded. This resolves some confusion which users had with NNTPGrab 0.6.
The first beta of the NNTPGrab 0.7 branch has just been released.
Various new features have been added to this branch which have been requested by our users.
The first new feature is also the most interesting one. From now on PAR2 files will only be downloaded when necessary.
When importing files the PAR2 recovery files will automatically get skipped. After all the regular files are
downloaded, the program checks whether a repair is necessary and automatically downloads the number of PAR2 recovery files required.
Afterwards, the repair will get resumed automatically.
Users upgrading from an older version of NNTPGrab need to enable this feature manually in the configuration.
From this version of the download queue will be maintained in an own file format (this used to be SQLite).
With the new file format download queue manipulations can be done a lot quicker than before.
Especially embedded environments benefit from this change. Users with an older version of NNTPGrab
need to finish their old downloads first before upgrading to this version as the old and new file format
aren't compatible with each other.
Speaking about embedded environments: Several dependencies have been eliminated from the program in order
to make it more suitable for embedded environments. Next to the SQLite dependency which was mentioned earlier,
the depedency on libxml2 has also been stripped from the NNTPGrab. The dependencies libgnome and gtkhtml3 have
also been stripped from the GTK frontend.
A new Qt-based frontend for the NNTPGrab Server has made it's appearance in the 0.6 branch of NNTPGrab.
In this version, a new Qt-based frontend has been introduced for the regular NNTPGrab program.
This frontend brings a much butter look-and-feel on Windows and Mac OS X environments than the original Gtk-based frontend.
There are still some features missing from this Qt-based frontend, but the most important ones are already there.
In the next beta more features will be added to this frontend. We're still looking for people to help out with
the development of this new frontend so if you've got any experience in developing Qt-based applications help will be
very much appreciated to finish this frontend!
Several changes have been done in order to make it easier for developers to communicate with NNTPGrab and extend it.
Support has been added for GObject-Introspection. This makes it possible to call NNTPGrab functions
In preparation for that support has also been added for GTK3
The API documentation has also improved in this version and can be found at http://nntpgrab.nl/embedded/nntpgrab/docs/index.html
Finally a feature has been re-introduced which was out of order for a while: the integrated search engine.
From this version on this feature can be used by everybody again. The retention for most newsgroups is currently over a year.
The retention for the largest dump groups is more than 150 days at the moment and it's still growing.
If you find that a newsgroup is missing, let us know on the forum and we'll add it as soon as possible.
NNTPGrab 0.6.2 has just been released. This is a bug fix release containing fixes for the following bugs:
- Added support for Windows x64
- When connecting to servers, keep the results of all DNS lookups in a cache so reconnecting can be done faster. This should also lower the possibility of the error message 'No hostname could be found for servername x' from occuring
- Automatically retry connecting to usenet servers when a connection error has occured. This should fix a bug where the download queue could hang when the network connection is unstable
- Very small files could get stuck in the download queue. Fixed
- In a rare situation, the program could deadlock while trying to remove a file from the download queue. Fixed
- Really disable activating the automatic import on Mac OS X
- Fixed a crash which could occur on shutdown on Win32/Win64 environments
- When a network disconnect is discovered by the NetworkManager plugin, the download queue would always get stopped, even when the download queue was inactive. Improved the handling of this situation
- Don't wait for active decode actions to be completed before applying configuration changes. This fixes a temporary hang or a deadlock which could occur when changing something in the configuration while a file is being decoded
- The download queue could get in an undefined state when applying multiple configuration changes very quick after each other. Fixed
- When using collection names > 128 characters some error messages could pop up while adding files or performing a PAR2 repair or an unpack. Fixed
This new version can be downloaded from the Downloads page
As of today a new website has been launched for NNTPGrab!
The most important addition of this website is an forum where both users and developers can ask questions.
Questions on the forum can be asked in English or Dutch.
Another addition of this new website is an issue tracker. If you've found a
bug in NNTPGrab you can easily report it using the same account as used on the forum.
If you find anything on this website that seems broken, feel free to mention it on the forum
Also available in: Atom